Three Chinese junks, two skiffs and a rowboat.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day One: White Catabwa & Humidity, Part Two!

Part Two, this time with a story!

The Desk & Chair Fiasco
Mom and I dragged the boxes for the computer chair and the desk all the way up those dang stairs. She unpacks the chair. I sit down to start putting it together. I have my Allen Wrench. I have my nuts and I have my cushions, casters, all that good stuff. Now, the casters and the base went together just fine. The gas lift tube thingy went in fine, the SEAT is what made me problems! So the instructions had it one way, and I had it the other, so I thought, hey, I'll just invert the instructions. Well, I didn't. Took me about five minutes to realize that the screws were in the wrong holes and NO, they aren't all the same! Well, dang, son.


So I took the screws out. Flipped them around. Yay, they work now! I slap down the chair base onto the lift and move on.

I carefully examine the chair arms, to make sure I'm putting them together correctly, and facing them the right way. Well, they're facing the right way...but they're on the wrong side.

So NOW that I've established that I'VE got the problem with directions, let's move on.

I continue putting the chair together, with much grumbling. Mom drags in the desk and sits down, starting to put that together. After the chair is done, I join her in setting up the crossbraces and whatnot. Now, believe me when I say, when you put something together, it's very possible to make every mistake in the book.

We made a couple of them, twice.

The leg supports cross at a point. The first mistake we made was putting the wrong brace on the inside of the other. Secondly, not only did we get the wrong ones on the wrong sides, but when we pulled them apart to trade them, we FORGOT to trade them, and just PUT THEM BACK where they WERE BEFORE.

*facepalm*

And it took us about five minutes and half a glass of wine to figure out exactly what we'd done wrong.

So what did we do?

Went back for a second glass of wine.

Of course.

So now we've established that having a problem with directions is utterly genetic.

No comments: